Career Highlights for Dan Pimentel:
• Current licensed instrument-rated private pilot (ASEL with high-performance endorsement)
• Nationally-published feature article writer with an emphasis on aviation issues, including numerous monthly features and columns in AOPA Pilot Magazine, HAI's Rotor Magazine, EAA Sport Aviation Magazine, Flying Magazine, Air & Space Smithsonian, Cessna Flyer Magazine and Piper Flyer Magazine.
• Publisher, editor and lead writer for Airplanista, a fast-growing aviation blog established in 2005 that has been frequently featured in AOPA’s daily eBrief eNewsletters, on Google News/Finance Pages, in McGraw-Hill’s Aviation Week and quoted in USA Today.
• Invited blogger on AOPA.org's Opinion Leaders Blog.
• Active member of the Twitter social community (@Av8rdan)with frequent daily postings of aviation topics, currently with over 10,000 followers including corporate CEOs, major aviation magazine editors and management of AOPA, EAA and NBAA.
• Judge of the San Francisco Region ADDY® Awards held in Oakland, California.
• Professional journalist/news photographer since 1979, with news articles, features, news and sports photos published in numerous national and regional trade and aviation publications and daily and weekly newspapers.
• Founding member of the “Blogging in Formation” author’s group. This group of six seasoned aviation bloggers all write about one identical topic each month, and use social media cross-promotion strategies to create buzz and increase traffic for our blogs.
• In-house photographer for Celeste/Daniels Advertising and Design, Inc, with specialties in theatrical, aviation and advertising images.
• Frequent Speaker on aviation topics at EAA Airventure Oshkosh as well as regional and local aviation clubs and organizations.
• Conducted a private photo and video shoot, at the invitation of the Smithsonian Institution’s General Aviation Curator, of Jerrie Mock’s “Spirit of Columbus”, the Cessna 180 she flew solo around the world. This rare closed photography session of this historic plane produced one of the most extensive series of research images outside of the Smithsonian Collection.
• Organized the Airplanista #Oshbash Awards event at 2013 EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, a large Twitter meetup event that celebrated aviation social media and honored 10 high-profile #avgeeks who demonstrate excellence in using social media to promote aviation.
• Invited to be the exclusive on-board media and commercial photographer for Duggy the DC-3 “Smile in the Sky” the country’s most popular youth education aircraft team as they participated in the historic DC-3/C-47 reunion in Rock Falls, IL, followed by a landing at KOSH to participate in the 2010 EAA Airventure Air Show in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
• Founder and Director of Development of the Welcome Sky Aviation Scholarship Program, a California 501(c)(3) that generated funds through private contributions and corporate donations to pay for flight training for the next generation of pilots.
• Advanced former member of Toastmasters International, a worldwide organization that encourages members to become exceptional presenters, lecturers and public speakers.